102nd Strategic Signal Battalion Engineers, Installs, Operates, Maintains and Defends (EIOMD) forward-based communications infrastructure, and information system and services, capable of extending the Global Information Grid to enable command and control for Theater, Army, Joint, and Combined Force Operations.
The 102nd Signal Battalion provides C4IM Services to our operational base and builds capacity in the infrastructure, the organizations, and the military and civilian communities throughout our area of responsibility by:
- Conducting detailed planning, preparation, and support of modernization, rebasing, and restationing, and military construction projects and initiatives
- Structuring our formation under the Global Network Enterprise (GNEC) construct to forge a more efficient, effective, and capable organization
- Implementing training programs that leverage a wealth of organic Civilian expertise (apprenticeship) and continue to hone basic combat skills and resiliency to best prepare our battalion to deploy in support of the 5th Signal Command's full spectrum operational concept
- Conducting proactive outreach to our entire community, to include supporting combat formations during their deployment cycles, mentoring and developing fellow Signaleers, enhancing relationships with joint and coalition partners, and sponsoring Garrison activities
- Constituted on 11 December 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 102nd Signal Heavy Construction Battalion
- Activated as the 102nd Signal Light Construction Battalion Italy in March 1945
- World War II, participation earned combat credits for the North Appenine and Po Valley Campaigns
- The Battalion returned to the United States and was deactivated on 2 October 1945 at Camp Miles Standish, Mass.
- Activated 18 March 1955, as the 102nd Microwave and Radio Relay Battalion, Smiley Barracks, Karlsruhe, Germany
- Unit deactivated in November 1967
- Reactivated on 1 July 1974 in Frankfurt, Germany, with the mission of providing Telephone, Microwave, and Non-Tactical Telecommunications
- Relocated to Rose Barracks, Bad Kreuznach, Germany 1995 with the mission of providing installation signal support
- Relocated to Hanau, Germany on 15 March 2001
- Relocated to Wiesbaden Army Airfield on June 2002